Tuesday, December 2, 2008

See ya later Luann-

Today I attended the most difficult funeral I have yet to experience. I have lived a very sheltered life in regards to death as it has been limited to great aunts and uncles, people over the age of 75 and my grandparents over the age of 80. Not that it's not hard to lose someone who is older, but they have lived a full life and are usually tired and ready to go. Not so with Luann. She was 41 with a loving husband, a 6 year old and a 4 year old. She was living her life to the fullest when she was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago. Then again about a year ago. She had finished chemo for the 2nd time and was beginning to start radiation again when her headaches started. She knew from the beginning that it was not good even though her dr's told her it was nothing. That was only 6 weeks ago, home, hospital then hospice. She was a happy and outgoing woman with a warm smile for everyone. She loved her household of boys and yearned for a baby girl (she told me each time I had another one!). The service today was one she had planned- a purple celebration as she was a purple loving person. I'm not being irreverant by saying See ya later- as goodbye is forever, but I plan to see Luann again when I fly away. Godspeed my friend. Your boys will be ok, but we'll all miss you here.

2 comments:

The Gacnik Family said...

That's a nice note Heather. This holiday season is filled with many new experiences and mixed emotions. In a timespan of 2 days one of my friends had a baby and another lost theirs (heart stopped) 24 hours before birth. Seems difficult to get excited for Christmas when so many are dealing with drastic changes in their life. Both happy and sad. It's a blessing you had those times with your friend. I agree good-bye is forever, I too go with the approach of "see you later."

Anonymous said...

It was great catching up with you. Even if it was at such a sad place. Kristen told me about this blog. She was tearing up even talking about it. Luann told everyone that she loved them. What a great person to have even known for such a short time. I agree with see ya later. I can see her waiting for us and saying " Hey, girlfriend!" :) Take care and have a wonderful holiday.