Saturday, November 1, 2008

Fresh from the farm

Wednesday was chicken day. We had ordered 8 farm fresh, no antibiotic, free range chickens for our freezer. Paperman and I were both raised on this kind of chicken and whenever he eats (the other) chicken it's just not the same. Of course, I'm sure if his Mom made (the other) chicken it may be better! I stewed a 6 lb chicken today with salt/pepper/carrots/onion and celery. I covered it in water and let it simmer about an hour then sit in the broth for a while (it was still quite warm). I removed the bones and skin and came up with 2 gallons (!) broth with a lot of flavor and 6 cups of chicken. I packaged everything into quart ziploc bags and now have the fixens for chicken soup, chicken and dumplings or chicken and noodles anytime we want. yum.
At $2.25 a lb the chickens are a bit pricey compared to (the other) chicken but we should get at least 4 meals out of this one chicken by adding a few staples and veggies. Now I'll have to ration the remainder of the chickens as we won't be able to get more until July.

No comments: