Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Fun with phonics

The scene: reading through dd2's "Friday folder" from school with help from dd3. I was showing her the work her sister had done at school the previous week. A sheet, obviously used to help dd2 continue to read the words she'd been reading for 2 years came up. It featured a picture of a writing utensil, below it dd2 wrote p-e-n. A picture of 3 males, dd2 wrote m-e-n. So on and so on. As dd3 is seeming to be in the "wanting to learn to read and spell stages" I was having her "help" me read the words by looking at the picture and sounding out the first letter of the word. Pen. Men. Next, a picture of the poultry that might say "Kentucky fried" above it.... word starts with an H - dd3 answer- of course, it's a H-i-c-k-e-n! I did one of those "look the other way and shake until tears roll down your cheeks" and said- "well, yes, good, but another word might be a hen." If you don't see the utmost humor with the above post, that's OK. Paperman just grinned politely as I was retelling the story, nearly falling off my chair. So then I called my sister, at least SHE laughed, nearly as hard as I did. Maybe you did have to be there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Priceless. That's one you show her at graduation - to show the advancement from now through high school

Anonymous said...

I CAN JUST SEE THE SIGHT!! SHE WAS BEING ALL SERIOUS AND NOT REALIZING HOW PRECIOUS THIS WAS. HOW DID YOU EVER KEEP HER FROM KNOWING HOW CUTE OR FUNNY THIS WAS?